Thursday, October 27, 2011

Installing Windows 8 Developer Preview on Samsung XE700T1A

Warning:  It has been reported that removing the backup partition on the SSD of this device has rendered the device useless.  Do this at your own risk.

Destruction of a Beauty
I recently purchased a Samsung XE700T1A-A04 from the Microsoft Store in Seattle (thank you brother Mike for helping me with this, and thank you Microsoft for the free phone).  It is a wonderful tablet.  I've been using it at work for the last 2 days and love it.  Battery lasts good, touchscreen works like a charm, pen does too (although why do you ship a Wacom-enabled tablet with no pressure-sensitive drawing program...)

But the reason I bought it is as a development target for Metro applications.  So I need to get the Windows 8 developer preview up and running.  This post chronicles that experience, be it for success or failure.

Basic Process
The basic process seems to be the following:
  1. Format / Copy the installation media to a 8 GB USB key using the Windows 7 USB DVD Tool
  2. Boot with the USB key
  3. Install Windows 8
  4. Start making money
Setting up the Key
I am using a 8 GB Sandisk key I picked up at Wal-Mart for about $18.  I was shocked I did not already have a big enough key sitting around, but I didn't.  The install media is over 4 GB, and most of my keys seem to be 4 GB.  

The first task was to install the Windows 7 USB DVD Tool.  This was painless and needs no explanation.  Luckily I already had the ISO for the developer preview downloaded, so no waiting there.  I started up the tool and it seemed pretty simple:  select the ISO, select the type of media [USB], select the device, hit go.  But it reported a failure.

Upon investigating the key, it looked like the first step - formatting the key - was successful.  So my next task was to manually extract the ISO to the key.  I used WinRAR to do this.

Booting to the Key
If you've been paying attention, then you probably didn't really expect that to work - well, neither did I.  We're obviously way too educated, because it didn't.  I did, however, discover a few controls of note on the Samsung Series 7 Slate:

  • Windows Key held during boot:  BIOS
  • Volume Up (up key)
  • Volume Down (down key)
  • Rotation Lock (enter / select key)
  • Windows Key [In BIOS] (escape / return / go to exit page)
You can use those to navigate through, turn on UEFI (hope that was a good idea), and get to the page where you set the boot order.  But you can't seem to actually change the boot order.  This was frustrating, but there seems to be an entry on the exit page to override the boot order and boot directly from a specific device.  I used this to boot to the USB key.

But that failed, it almost immediately booted up the Windows 7 already installed on the device.

"Upgrade" Install
Rather than spend more time remaking the key, which took about 45 minutes, I thought I'd check out what happened when I just put the key in while booted in Windows 7.  It recognized the install media and began the install process.  There were some very entertaining screens.  My favorite was the one that asked you what  you wanted to keep with a single option:  Nothing.  That's the stuff.  

But that failed.  Eventually, the system reboots, there is a boot options screen with a rollback, developer preview, and windows 7 option displayed on startup.  I chose the developer preview choice, which fairly quickly failed with a message stating that windows could not be installed on my hardware.  Disappointing, but not surprising.  I did not expect this to be easy.  I then booted to the "rollback" option and eventually got back to this state:


Not the most readable picture, but it is what it is.  The message states: "We're not sure what happened, but we couldn't finish installing Windows Developer Preview.  We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started."

And it looks like they did.  Back up and running in Windows 7.  No drive space appears to be missing, at least no massive amount.  So, nothing broken, but still no Windows 8.

Back to Key Setup
Looks like the next step is to see if a clean wipe will run.  I located another utility to create USB flash cards for this purpose: WinToFlash.  I ran it and it ran much quicker, if not as user friendly.  I had to extract the Windows 8 ISO to a folder on my system.  There was a Windows 8 option in the menus for this tool, so that is promising.

I booted the system into the BIOS with this new key attached.  Once booted, I get the SanDisk option on the Boot Override of the Exit screen, but I also got a "UEFI: USB USB Hard Drive" option.  I suspect (but have not verified) this is something that is there as a result of the failed Windows 8 Install.  Looks like the system is not "quite" back exactly like it was before.  Upon booting the SanDisk option, I get a small surprise - the Windows 8 Setup actually started.  -- But I didn't get far.  I got an error stating:

Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist


This pointed to a problem with the installation media. I checked and the one I used was indeed bad. Once I got that resolved, I discovered a new issue - a required setup file is over the 4.x GB limit, and all of this USB key prep software is using FAT32. None of them were actually copying the main install file (install.wim).


The final path to solution seems to be this:
  • Download ISO of Developer Preview 
  • Extract ISO to local folder (we'll call it C:\Win8Install) 
  • Insert USB drive (we'll call it D:\) 
  • Format D: as NTFS 
  • Copy contents of C:\Win8Install to D: 
  • Start -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management 
  • Make partition assigned to D: active 
  • Run C:\Win8Install\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 D: 
  • Power Off Tablet 
  • Insert USB Drive 
  • Power On - holding down Windows Key 
  • When BIOS loads - press Windows Key 
  • Use Volume up/down keys to select the USB drive as the boot option 
  • Press the Rotate Lock key 

The tablet should now be booting up with the Windows 8 Developer Preview installer. Run the installer as normal - installation out of scope of this blog entry

Updates:

  • Camera is working
  • Switching orientation by rotating the slate is not working
  • Pen is working
  • Expression Blend 4 will not install unless you use a mouse

19 comments:

  1. Dude, thanks so much for posting this - I'm getting the same thing (albeit the A03 model with dock + keyboard, hopefully) via a friend who works at Microsoft in a couple of weeks, and your post probably just saved me however many hours of trial/error it took to get the final sequence.

    I'm also in the, "Install Windows 8, start building metro apps, start making money" camp (although I suspect the money part will be delayed until the metro app store goes live). I'm going to go read more of your blog now to see how things went after this part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it helped someone. Unfortunately there is not much after yet. I used it a bit last night and it went as expected - lots of driver issues. No camera, rotation, or pen pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction - the camera, at least the rear-mounted one, appears to work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When in the BIOS how did you navigate the different 'tabs', like going to the advanced section? The home button for me only goes to the last exit tab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you hold down the rotate lock key, the volume up / down keys will navigate through the tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! Now if it would only recognize my USB. It just will not show up in the BIOS on the exit page along with the SSD. Arrrr

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may help to make sure it is setup as a bootable NTFS device as described in the post, but I doubt it. Here's a link to the one I used: Sandisk 8 GB @ Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first got the slate, after playing around with it I decided to install win8. I entered the bios and with a USB formatted from windows 7 USB tool I was able to install a clean version of windows8. Everything was fine until I tried to get rid of the backup partition. I deleted and extended with 3rd party software but when it rebooted I only get "reboot and select proper boot device". Now USB never shows up, I've tried NTFS, fat32, winPE. Sad I just got this and messed it up. I'm out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll give it some thought. I can't see why that would cause that behavior. I imagine there is something you can do to resolve it, but it's hard to help much without the broken device to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried disabling the Execute Disable Bit (in the BIOS, advanced tab). Might also try disabling UEFI. Grasping at straws though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate your help Patrick. I will try that now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No luck, I'm going to go back through your steps again. Did you always have the USB show up in the BIOS? Were there any times it wasn't recognized? Wonder if I have a USB port hardware problem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My USB key always showed up in the BIOS, even when it would not properly boot the system. Make sure and post a follow-up if you figure it out. I updated my blog post with this failure, I'd like to include the fix if you find one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My 11/1/2011 blog post addresses some of the driver issues I referred to in this post. Pen is still troublesome, but I got the orientation sensor working.

    ReplyDelete
  15. According to this article some one delete the partition without difficulty.
    http://illustration.org/archives/category/technology

    ReplyDelete
  16. @DirtyMerty: I had the same problem, bootable USB key would just not show up. I eventually went into the advanced tab and turn on Legacy USB, UEFI and USB S3 Wake-up (probably only need one of those, at a guess Legacy USB but I'm not sure, I just turned them all on.) Save and reset and the disk option appeared.


    @Patrick: THANK YOU! I just went through this frustrating "discovery" process having bought a EX700T1A planning to load on Windows 8 (I've been using win8 as a primary desktop development OS for months and actually really like the metro start menu and other changes since win7, even without the touch factor..)

    I wish I found your blog post 5 hours ago! Was almost stupid enough to waste $30 on a USB keyboard just to change the boot order -- as you've pointed out it is indeed possible to boot from USB on the Exit screen. Wicked.

    It was smooth sailing through calm waters from there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad it helped Sichbo. Good luck with Win8 on this device, it has its issues.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whee can I download the windows 8 preview? I messed up my tablet by viruses. I can't even login. It just reboot constantly. I'm looking to reinstall 7 or upgrade 8. Plz help

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry it took so long to respond Tony, it slipped through the cracks. You can no longer install the Windows 8 Preview unfortunately. You will need to purchase a full version. I have installed the full version on my tablet using this same procedure and it works fine.

    ReplyDelete